From Private to Public: A Freshman Story

Back to Article
Back to Article

Schaumburg cheerleaders and poms perform at a home football game in front of the Saxon fans.

Cedric Mathew, Sextant Editor

Coming to a public high school has been a very big change for a private school student like me- someone with a more stubborn and stingy eye. To be honest, it’s been a change for the better. There a lot more benefits in public schools like Schaumburg High School than many students realize–benefits we take for granted. There are so many more people, more classes, and simply more opportunity.

So far, high school has been able to give new things that private schools don’t have. There are so many classes, and they all learn at different speeds, so the students can get classes that are more comfortable for them, instead of having everyone take basically the same stuff. The fact that every student picks their electives makes everything a thousand times better than having almost no options to choose from.

I know that private schools have a lot fewer people than public schools (especially in elementary schools), so the classes are full of the same people. At SHS, you’ll likely not have the same people in all of your class. That way, it’s harder to get sick of seeing the same people over and over again. On the other hand, private school kids get closer to their classmates because they don’t really have anyone else, but these close knit grades are a small price to pay.

Something that a lot of people don’t get about private schools is that they don’t get a lot of government funding to get programs for the students. The schools want the students to be involved but they barely have any clubs or art programs to get involved in (except a student council who gets an occasional out-of-uniform day), and the clubs here make me appreciate SHS. I love having clubs that excite me and push me to do what I want to do when I grow up.

One of the most crazy differences from a private school to a public school is the environment. There is so much more freedom. Private schools have so many rules on what to eat, when to eat, what to where, etc. When I first got here, I was so freaked out when I saw people chewing gum and wearing sandals. No one can understand how freeing this change was for me and private school students everywhere. These “strict rules” actually seem pretty chill to me.

To sum up, I’m really glad I came to SHS. I have so much more ways to do what I , and I have so much more ways to learn what I like. I am happy that I went to a private school because I wouldn’t be who I am today without it, but I think it’s good that I have a bigger outlet to start the rest of my high school life.