The student news site of Schaumburg High School

Sextant

Storm Leads the Lady Saxons into a New Era

Gina D'Orazio, Sextant Reporter

As the temperature outside drops, the gym lights come on as the 2016-17 girls basketball season opens.

With feelings of disappointment over the end of the season last year, the Schaumburg Girls Basketball program is ready to suit up and take the court. Last season, the team lost a hear breaker in the first round of Regionals against Glenbard North. This year, the team is returning four starters and currently hold 2-4 record.

Despite the teams slow start, new head coach Jacqueline Storm and new assistant coach, Rachel Kahan, are eager to see what her team has in store for the remainder of the season.

Schaumburg High School looks to new coach Jacqie Storm to lead the Saxons.

“I’m excited for our potential, We have a nice combination of veteran players and new players to give some stability and freshness to our squad” Storm said.

The coach isn’t the only one enthusiastic about the start of the new season. The players on this years team are exhilarated to step back onto the court.

“I’m really excited for this season.” Senior Laura Oconnell stated. “A lot of the girls have played together for a long time.  I’m feeling extremely confident that we will be successful”

Storm brings a new mentality with this years squad, creating an environment of togetherness with the constant principle of hard work everyday.

“Regardless of our record or how far we make it in the state tournament, I want the players to walk away from the season knowing they left it all on the court” Storm commented.

Storm will also bring fresh new core values to the team, trying to instill them in each and every one of her players and carry those core values through the whole season. Her systematic approach and simplistic yet effective mentality make her confident with her plan for the season.

“After our first few games, we recognized our need for consistency and focus.”  Storm added. “All five players on the court must have a common goal—and the bench must contribute to this goal by encouraging and supporting their teammates.  We play for the person next to us.”

Storm acknowledges that the team has several challenges ahead and is looking forward to the team’s improvements.

“Our biggest challenge thus far has been our mental focus and playing four complete quarters,” Storm stated. “With our performance being inconsistent, we try to mirror scenarios in practice that happen in games.  Each drill has a specific goal that needs to be reached.  After drills, we reflect on why or why not we were able to accomplish said goal and how we can use those mental skills in game situations.”

“I’m looking forward to our team coming together and have a very successful season” Oconnell added.

• Storm Leads the Lady Saxons into a New Era

SHS opens AP resource room

OPINIONS

We’ve failed our citizens

Hurricane Irma devastates south Florida

Amazon/Whole Foods

Opportunity Knocks and SHS Students Can Answer

Class Attendance on the Rise

OPINIONS

Dear Future Americans:

SHS Implements Equalized Grading

ENTERTAINMENT

Maybelline and Covergirl Name First Male Ambassadors

A Season of Giving