The student news site of Schaumburg High School

Sextant

Opportunity Knocks and SHS Students Can Answer

Krislyn Cardoza, Sextant Editor

The life of a typical teenager includes waking up, eating, going to school, completing homework, participating in some sports or clubs, and sleeping. After such a gruesome week, it’s a no-brainer that kids want to go out, enjoy their leisure time, and spend time with friends along with money.

Purchasing prom tickets. Buying new clothes. Paying for gas. Going out to the movies with friends. All these expenses add up, ultimately finding your bank account empty along with your social life.

Lucky for all of you Schaumburg High School students, the school is launching the Opportunity Knocks Campaign on April 6th from 4-8 P.M., where a variety of businesses will be arriving on campus and searching for individuals to hire as a part-time job. This program allows kids to easily find job opportunities and earn money.

“We know how difficult it is to get work at times for kids, especially part time jobs or jobs over the summer. Some parents approached me about wanting to do something for our kids here in the building so we decided let’s bring the businesses in to Schaumburg…and connect the two” remarked Principal Timothy Little as he provided insight to how the campaign began.

Although searching for a job can be strenuous work, the high school is bringing in a variety of businesses to provide a wide range of opportunities for students. Teens will be able to check out different company booths and choose to work for something that they thinks best fits their skill set.

“There are such a variety of businesses,” Mr. Little states when describing the vast opportunities that awaits the Saxons. “I think we’re at thirty-two businesses right now. There are four different departments from L.A. Fitness looking for people for jobs. There’s Target, Walgreens, Costco, all kinds of different skill sets.”

Specifically, this event is geared towards upperclassmen; although, some sophomores may be eligible to get hired as well. A few of the businesses will take fifteen year olds with the work permit but most are looking for sixteen, seventeen, and eighteen year olds.

The beauty of this event is that the interview process is not stressful as one might typically expect. In a familiar environment, students may find themselves more at ease having a conversation with companies, knowing that other individuals are in the same boat.

“We’ve assigned each business to a table. You can talk to the business owner themselves or the store manager, and they will have iPads there where you can apply online or, in some cases, they can hire you right on the spot” explains Principal Little.

While job-seeking teens should not overly worried and anxious over the hiring process, it is important that they come prepared. Students should identify their interests, strengths, weaknesses, schedules, and maybe even put together a small portfolio or resume. The high school has a variety of resources to help teens get ready.

“Right now, we have resume building in room five, the star lab. I know that fifteen [and] sixteen year olds don’t have a huge timeline and history of job activity, but they do have identified skill sets that they could give” Little shares in an effort to promote the resources available to Saxons.

Businesses and high school staff alike are optimistic that kids will join the Opportunity Knocks event in the upcoming month. Right now, they are hopeful that over two-hundred kids will arrive and send an impactful message to the working community of Schaumburg.

“I think the biggest thing is that it sends a message to our business community that we have awesome kids here. Incredible students that have great skills. They need to look no further than Schaumburg High School to fill their workforce” exclaims Principal Little.

With Prom and summer vacation right around the corner, students must be aching for money to spend in the upcoming months. What better solution to healing their broken bank accounts than attending the Opportunity Knocks event and finding a job?

• NEWS

Our nation’s battle with solitary confinement

• Opportunity Knocks and SHS Students Can Answer

Wildfires decimate California

BPA students chase success

Local benefit helps raise awareness

Driverless cars helping the elderly

Theatre technicians, the students who do it all

Giving back to veterans

Writing wrongs at slam team tryouts

SHS iBoss implementation suspended

SHS opens AP resource room