The student news site of Schaumburg High School

Sextant

Theatre technicians, the students who do it all

Students involved in theater tech are responsible for creating sets, set changes, and sound and lights.

Jeremy Lorenz, Scribe Reporter

As the time rolls around for SHS actors to start rehearsal for the fall play, another group begins their own preparations. Recently, the theater technicians  began building the set and preparing lights and sound for the upcoming production.

The SHS theatre technicians are a group of students who meet regularly before the show to build
the sets and practice running lights and sound for all the plays and musicals here at SHS. The fall play, “The Complete History of America (abridged),” requires the technicians to build walls along with foam cut-outs of various national monuments.

“Theatre technicians are students with an interest in construction, lighting, sound, painting or
thespians who are not in the production who wish to hang out,” says James Sullivan, technical director and construction manager for the fall play. “They are responsible for everything with the
exception of acting,” he explains.

These students only meet regularly around the time of shows, when they will then meet daily with the exception of weekends. The club currently consists of around 40 members with students from all levels. A majority of them are seniors, but the club is always open to new members.

“Theatre Technicians are a student-run organization tasked with supporting a variety of productions here at SHS. We do all of the lighting design, sound design, and set building for all productions, major and minor, ranging from musicals to plays to concerts,” says Daniel Owen, student technical director of all the shows at SHS.

However,  most of the time these students do all this without the aid of an expert. While a
construction manager and technical director oversee all that happens, it is the students who make a
majority of the decisions. It is clear that their hard work has paid off. Come watch the fall play on either November 16, 17 or 18 and see for yourself!

• NEWS

Our nation’s battle with solitary confinement

• Theatre technicians, the students who do it all

Wildfires decimate California

BPA students chase success

Local benefit helps raise awareness

Driverless cars helping the elderly

Giving back to veterans

Writing wrongs at slam team tryouts

SHS iBoss implementation suspended

SHS opens AP resource room

Hurricane Irma devastates south Florida