Sextant

Regulations for the Modern Age

Students eat and socialize in Siegie's Corner.

Oskar Malkiewicz, Scribe Reporter

Those vigilant among the student population may have noticed a strange new development in the lives of those attending Schaumburg High School: a slew of newly imposed regulations on hallway navigation and the media center. These new rules, which include the prohibition of taking food from the cafeteria to the media center, have left many confused, skeptical, and wondering: what exactly caused these changes.

Before these changes, students were permitted to move freely through the building and bring food from one location to another without restriction.  Now, students are asked to keep food from the cafeteria in the cafeteria.  To accommodate students who want to eat in the media center, food options are now being sold in Siegie’s Corner.  In addition, students are now being asked to reduce the amount of time wandering and loitering in the hallways.

“We have a group of teachers and administrators who work together on what’s called the Solutions Committee”, says Schaumburg High School principal, Tim Little.

This committee created the new regulations, which also include a 10-minute freeze on roaming the halls before passing period and a requirement to take the most direct route between classes and to the bathroom.

“We’ve had some areas of the building that had some signage from the 1970s, nobody knew what it meant; [these new regulations] were bringing the school from the 70s into the modern era”.

Mr. Little describes the implementation of the new rules as an effect of recent trends.

“One of the things about the cafeteria that we didn’t realize is that with the new lines this year, kids get their food a lot quicker; which is good, they have more time,… but it also created a problem with the flow of kids [in the hallways],” Principal Little stated.

The newly created free time granted to students caused several problems that involved noise complaints and dropped food in the hallways; thus, the Solutions Committee began work on agreeable solutions.

“If I’m a teacher in a classroom in a noisy area… it’s very difficult to teach, and it’s difficult to learn,” Mr. Little said. “Students need to make a choice on the area you want to go to.”

As a result of the regulations, students and staff are already reporting improvements in cleanliness and have had few incidents in the hallways.

“Kids study differently now than they did back in the 1970s… We want to give kids the ability to choose how they study best in the best possible environment,” Mr. Little continued.

Students had mixed reactions to these new rules; most seem to understood why they were implemented, though many still mourned the loss of their prior privileges.

“I guess I just think they won’t be very effective,” says an anonymous junior. “We [students] can just put our food in our backpacks and go anywhere we like, and anyway, if we’re in the library with our food that means we made it up without dropping anything.”

The new rules will not remedy all concerns, but Schaumburg High School continues to adapt as they work to balance the needs of the modern student with the need for the school to function as an academic institution.

• Regulations for the Modern Age

Checkmate. Chess team looks to advance

• Regulations for the Modern Age

SHS choir continuing to excel

• NEWS

Our nation’s battle with solitary confinement

• Regulations for the Modern Age

Wildfires decimate California

• Regulations for the Modern Age

BPA students chase success

• Regulations for the Modern Age

Local benefit helps raise awareness

• Regulations for the Modern Age

Driverless cars helping the elderly

• Regulations for the Modern Age

Theatre technicians, the students who do it all

• Regulations for the Modern Age

Giving back to veterans

• Regulations for the Modern Age

Writing wrongs at slam team tryouts

The student news site of Schaumburg High School
Regulations for the Modern Age