Checkmate. Chess team looks to advance

Edwin Suresh competes in a chess tournament. The Saxons ran their record to 6-2 with a win versus Conant.

Karthik Myneni, Writer/ Publisher

The Saxon chess team has racked up five wins against only two losses. At 6-2 the chess team holds the best record on any SHS team in school history.  Standing only behind powerhouses Fremd and Barrington, the Saxons look to add a win to their record against Barrington this Thursday.

“In regards to Fremd and Barrington, many of their players engaged in chess from a young age,” Daaniyaal Hussain says, a competitor who holds the third board. “They have done tournaments and received specialized coaching. We[Schaumburg], on the other hand, have a lineup where a majority of our competitors learned in high school itself. Aside from that, we aren’t different.” 

Much of the lineup is senior heavy and nearly everyone started out their Freshman Year. The current lineup consists of Samuel Hessian(Junior), Edwin Suresh(Senior), Daaniyaal Hussain(Senior), Ethan Tsai(Senior), Vivek Bhatt(Senior), Tommy Chang(Junior), Dhyey Dixit(Junior), and Justin Tsai(Junior). Six of these top eight players all started out learning here at Schaumburg High School. From not knowing how to play to achieve their best record in history, the change is truly marvelous.

“We thought moves through and utilized time effectively,”  first board Samuel Hessian stated. We came in with a set mindset, and we just played our best chess. Our two losses were against Fremd and Prospect. Fremd has always had a brilliant team and is genuinely one of the best teams in the state. Against Prospect, we got ahead of ourselves, and some of our games did not turn out like how they should have. That loss was earlier in the season, and the team has put that behind us.” 

Fremd no doubt is a powerhouse, but based on these responses, the team is level-headed now and has the confidence to finish out the season strong. With only Barrington and Hoffman Estates to face before the season ends, the Saxons are ready to make an impact at the state competition. I, along with the school, have no doubt that this team will go on to compete at the State.  

“We need to play well at the IHSA Chess Sectional, and we are going to be placed with some of the toughest schools in the state like Stevenson, Barrington, and Fremd. I believe that if we show up with our full lineup, and play the quality chess that we have been playing so far we should qualify for state” Edwin Suresh, second board, said.

This team has its own fair share of strengths and weaknesses as well. Many of these skills translate to other aspects of life as well. The main strength of the team is that they take chess seriously; people practice on chess.com all the time. They fight through every match up and learn from their wins and losses. Their biggest weakness is that they have other clubs, sports, and academics so it becomes hard to manage everything at once.

This team will have a big impact at IHSA State and should not be looked over.

• Checkmate. Chess team looks to advance

Voicing our votes

SHS Slam Poets storm the stage

Operation Snowball 2018 empowers students

District 211 Career Expo offers students professional opportunities

FEATURES

Matthew Williams Honored for Community Service

BPA brings home the gold after successful trek at State Conference

SHS students join day of protest

Choir supports pediatric cancer patients through music

Engineering club bot does battle in the ring

Schaumburg students walk out in protest over gun laws

Checkmate. Chess team looks to advance