Reflections on the AP resource room

Mr.+Rafaj+works+with+students+after+school+in+the+AP+resource+room+
Mr. Rafaj works with students after school in the AP resource room

Kenneth Beymer

Kenneth Beymer

Kenneth Beymer, Scribe Contributor

As the semester draws to a close, it comes time to reflect upon the changes and additions made up to this point within the year, with one significant addition in mind. The AP Resource Room has been a well-received addition to the educational  body within the school by students and teachers alike. Many students use it for both a place of study and academic growth through tutoring as well as a sense of community for students in rigorous advanced classes.

Located in the back corner of the Media Center, The AP Resource Room offers a warm, welcoming environment for students who engage in difficult classes. Many of these students have, throughout the semester, come regularly to use the AP Resource Room in order to help bolster their academic successes.

“It has been a lot of help for me and for a lot of my classmates, already,” Business Professionals of America National Champion Edwin Suresh says of the AP Resource Room. “The casual but focused atmosphere is great for getting work done, and the room provides easy access to computers, printers, and textbooks.”

Many students throughout the semester have also begun to use the AP Resource Room as a way of contributing to their community by volunteering as tutors. Karsten Zielinski, a former AP Resource Room tutor, describes his experience thusly, “Being a tutor has been a very enriching experience. I love helping other students and seeing all of the students that go out of their way to get extra help grow in their educations.”

On the other end of the spectrum, teachers also praise the newly established resource. Ms.Howard, an AP Macroeconomics and AP Government and Politics teacher, describes the AP Resource Room as, “a wonderful addition at SHS to support students in their quest for academic excellence.  The room welcomes all Advanced Placement Students but was created especially to provide additional support for first time AP students.  Enrollment in at least one AP classes during your high school career increases success at the colligate level.  Hopefully, having a designated space for computer resources, peer tutoring, and after-school teacher tutoring will aid in student achievement.” As the semester progressed, teachers began to staff the AP Resource Room after school in order to help students reach their maximum potentials.

The overall appeal of the AP Resource Room comes from its mixing of a sense of community and an area where those in need can seek help from both teachers and students who have the best interest of others in mind. The future of the AP Resource Room looks bright, to say the least.

Despite all of the AP Resource Room’s successes, there are a few concerns I feel need to be addressed. First, by nature, the AP Resource room sequesters talented students into a small area because the Media Center is often raucous, which makes studying difficult. The purpose of the media center should be academics and academic collaboration, not socializing. We shouldn’t need to create new spaces for students to do their school work.

Also, because the resource room is new and still adapting to the needs of the students, a few things need to be addressed, namely the lack of AP resources.  While the staff has worked hard to collect materials as they are made aware of student needs, the room still lacks enough textbooks, for example, to meet the needs of all classes. This, however, is our responsibility to share our needs so that staff can accumulate necessary materials.

Now, I don’t mean to bash the AP Resource Room. It has potential abound and already has resulted in many successes. Yes, it has issues that need to be addressed, but we should celebrate the fact that the AP students have a place to call their own where they can do what they need to to thrive further.

My hope is that SHS expands this initiative to include all students, giving them a comfortable place where academics come first.

• Reflections on the AP resource room

Voicing our votes

• Reflections on the AP resource room

OPINIONS

Arming teachers is not the answer

• Reflections on the AP resource room

OPINIONS

The #MeToo movement sparks change at SHS

• Reflections on the AP resource room

OPINIONS

How I get homework done while fighting anxiety

• Reflections on the AP resource room

OPINIONS

America, let’s be better

• Reflections on the AP resource room

OPINIONS

Scattering papers on your bed just doesn’t work anymore.

• Reflections on the AP resource room

OPINIONS

Behind the “Friday night Nights”

• Reflections on the AP resource room

OPINIONS

We’ve failed our citizens

• Reflections on the AP resource room

OPINIONS

Dear Future Americans:

• Reflections on the AP resource room

OPINIONS

Overcoming the Trump Dilemma at SHS

Reflections on the AP resource room