Keeping up with the Schaumburg Speech Team

A picture of the Speech Team during Freshmen Recruitment Night, with co-captains Maddy Chau and Sara Shahid, with Sara Harder, Cedric Matthew, Nikita Sharma, and Zoe Mihevic laying on the floor, from left-to right.

Raphael Portillo

Fun-filled weekends are the first memories that come into the minds of speech team members who dedicated their Saturdays in 2017 to the competitions.  The competitors presented united front for another, always striving to support each team member. Starting from Wheeling High School all the way to Palatine High School, students of all ages have gone into their round representing the ideals that Saxons have within the school.

The team is mostly comprised of students from all classes participating in events such as: informative speaking, declamatory speaking, impromptu speeches, and poetry/prose. Valuing the talents and skills of each individual, all students have free-range to practice whatever event they would like to participate in, and whatever topic they see provides great opportunity for oration. Each event demands students to utilize their own individual creative ability through speaking while calling upon their precise recall and comprehension on matters often requiring particular contextualization of events.

The 2017-2018 school year has been a successful year for the Schaumburg Speech Team varsity and junior varsity members, including sophomore members Zoe Mihevic and Cedric Matthew breaking in Informative Speaking and Impromptu Speaking, respectively. JV members Rosemary Maschaneras, Brinda Mehta, and Nirva Panchal also made great strides, providing a solid foundation of experience for the future as they continually place in both Original Oratory, Extemporaneous Speaking, and Impromptu Speaking in recent JV tournaments.

As a team, the Schaumburg Speech Team strives to value hard work, team effort, and practice. And, even during moments of defeat, the members always find ways to have fun whether it be watching final rounds or discussing ways to improve their speeches. At every single tournament in which they compete, the speech team is not driven simply by competitive concerns; rather they are interested in voicing their thoughts in a space to share, learn, and enjoy the talents of other students.

Interested? The speech team meets on Tuesdays from 2:50 – 3:30, allowing you to explore other activities if you have other interests.

• Keeping up with the Schaumburg Speech Team

ENTERTAINMENT

Class of 2018 Senior Map

Voicing our votes

SHS Slam Poets storm the stage

Operation Snowball 2018 empowers students

District 211 Career Expo offers students professional opportunities

FEATURES

Matthew Williams Honored for Community Service

BPA brings home the gold after successful trek at State Conference

SHS students join day of protest

Choir supports pediatric cancer patients through music

Engineering club bot does battle in the ring