Gaming club – the club for any gamer!

Luke Locasio, Scribe Reporter

I don’t know about you, but I can’t tell you how many times I needed help getting to a new level or finding where a secret item was hidden. Don’t you wish that there were a place to easily access a community of people who feel the same way?  Well here’s your chance, gamers. Every Wednesday, at 3:00 pm, come on down to room 191 to enjoy an abundance of video games!

Sponsored Mr. Koschnitzke and Mr. Truck, the SHS Gaming Club offers a forum for gamers of all breeds to join at one place and play a number of different video games, including the ones member bring along. And SHS has a good base of technology that provides a gaming experience that is often better than what we have at home. The most popular game systems are Nintendo Wii and Switch, but those aren’t all.  Right now club members are busy trying to outduel one another in various games: Overwatch, Smite, League of Legends, and Rocket League, just to name a few.

Gaming club is not just a place to play video games, however. For years, video games were mischaracterized as solitary hobbies played at home in solitude.  However, with the rise of online multiplayer options, gaming became much more visibly communal and highly social.  Now, SHS offers students a place to enjoy these games in a face-to-face setting “It helps students build friendships with people who have common interests,” one gamer said.  “At school you’re surrounded by other gamers.”

If you think about it, not every student has the ability, the time, or the resources to participate in a sport, but that doesn’t mean these students don’t have a competitive drive.  Gaming club offers a competitive outlet for students.

“Competitive gaming provides an outlet to the kids that maybe aren’t the most athletic or artistic but have the same abilities and capabilities to compete in another form,” Mr. Truck stated.

Video games offer more than merely an opportunity to have fun, although hanging out and playing video games is pretty cool. The respectful, friendly, and supportive club helps people avoid the negativity that people can sometimes encounter when trying to find cooperative games online.

Those who may think that gaming has no place in schools should consider research suggesting that playing video games can actually improve attention, focus, and reaction time. According to Psychology Today author Peter Gray PhD, “many of the abilities tapped by such games are precisely those that psychologists consider to be the basic building blocks of intelligence.”

“Hand-eye coordination develops and increases the more you practice, Mr. Truck added. “It institutes problem solving and critical thinking skills with games that have time limits, ‘missions,’ goals or anything that involves a ‘level-up’ to get to the next phase of the game.”

Be sure to ask if there are any upcoming tournaments or heck, even request that they create a tournament. So why should you join Gaming Club? Because of all the video game-related opportunities you’ll find!

“No matter the level of gaming the student is at, [students] are always welcome to practice and increase their skills,” Mr. Truck said.  So, whether you’re a veteran gamer or if you’ve only recently become obsessed with Fortnite, come over to the Gaming Club.

• Gaming club – the club for any gamer!

ENTERTAINMENT

Class of 2018 Senior Map

• Gaming club – the club for any gamer!

Voicing our votes

• Gaming club – the club for any gamer!

SHS Slam Poets storm the stage

• Gaming club – the club for any gamer!

Operation Snowball 2018 empowers students

• Gaming club – the club for any gamer!

District 211 Career Expo offers students professional opportunities

• Gaming club – the club for any gamer!

FEATURES

Matthew Williams Honored for Community Service

• Gaming club – the club for any gamer!

BPA brings home the gold after successful trek at State Conference

• Gaming club – the club for any gamer!

SHS students join day of protest

• Gaming club – the club for any gamer!

Choir supports pediatric cancer patients through music

• Gaming club – the club for any gamer!

Engineering club bot does battle in the ring

Gaming club – the club for any gamer!