The #MeToo movement sparks change at SHS

Meghan Kier, Editor-in-Chief

One year ago, I wrote about the worldwide protests regarding the issues of women’s equality and sexual assault awareness. The Million Women March bore witness to the number of Americans who believe that the gap in equality needs to be eliminated. Recently during January, women and men were once again picking up their protests signs and taking to the street.

In this year’s marches, people not only protested against the Trump administration’s tolerance of sexual harassment within the White House in particular but also against institutionalized sexual assault and harassment in general. The resignation last month by White House Aide Robert Porter, served as another instance of administrative sheltering abusive individuals.  Activists inspired by the #MeToo movement are challenging those who might otherwise have gone unpunished or unnoticed.

Through the “#MeToo” campaign, women worldwide are stepping up and giving victims a voice. The movement strives to give a sense of the magnitude and prevalence of sexual assault and harassment around the world. Women who have survived of sexual assault and/or harassment have been sharing their stories and tagging their stories on social media sites with the #MeToo as a status to show the extent that women are affected. Although marches for women’s rights have long been a tradition, this emphasis and level of visibility is fairly new.

“For too long, survivors of sexual assault and harassment have been in the shadows. We have been afraid to speak up, to say ‘Me Too’ and seek accountability. For many, the consequences of doing so have been devastating,” said Tarana Burke, founder of the #MeToo movement.

But this is not simply something that exists outside of our community’s reality.  At Schaumburg High School students are embracing #MeToo movement to show solidarity and support for sexual assault survivors.

“I feel like it gives women the freedom to use their voice. And with that voice they are given a platform to share their opinions and stories with the world.” freshmen Grace Hazek said.

“In the age of social media, everything we do is watched and that could be used to our advantage, so we can speak our minds and stand up for what we believe in,” sophomore Isabel Szpunar explains.

The women’s marches give Schaumburg High School students the ability to have a voice and share their opinions on the issues surrounding them.

“I think that the #metoo campaign is the start of change; it has become a precursor to change and a call to action.”

— Mackenzie Noxon

It gives power to the unheard. Students are able to go out and make signs and protest and march in the streets. With the rise in popularity of the marches, students are able to take action and help shape the future.

“If it’s the right thing to do then I believe that we need to stand up, we are the future and as a part of the future we are becoming the change. I intend to use my platform to start effecting change. If everyone could use their voice then think of how much good we could do,” junior Parth Mohanty added.

Students nationwide are leading rallies, marches, and protests in order to start the reaction for change. Women’s rights is just the start. The #MeToo campaign pushed students to open their eyes to the issues surround their nation.

“I think that the #MeToo campaign is the start of change; it has become a precursor to change and a call to action. For the first time there are role models to look up to because for so long it has been teens that have had to take action, so to finally see adults stand up it is inspiring” Senior Mackenzie Noxon said.

The #MeToo movement not only provides a voice for the voiceless as more students are taking it upon themselves to be the change they want to see within the world.

• The #MeToo movement sparks change at SHS

OPINIONS

Art and music

Voicing our votes

OPINIONS

Arming teachers is not the answer

OPINIONS

How I get homework done while fighting anxiety

OPINIONS

America, let’s be better

OPINIONS

Reflections on the AP resource room

OPINIONS

Scattering papers on your bed just doesn’t work anymore.

OPINIONS

Behind the “Friday night Nights”

OPINIONS

We’ve failed our citizens

OPINIONS

Dear Future Americans: