Operation Snowball 2018 empowers students

by Scribe Reporter Ben Marshall

Students+from+Schaumburg%2C+Conant%2C+and+Hoffman+Estates+High+Schools+joined+together+at+the+2018+Operation+Snowball+on+Saturday%2C+March+10.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Students from Schaumburg, Conant, and Hoffman Estates High Schools joined together at the 2018 Operation Snowball on Saturday, March 10.

Ben Marshall, Scribe Reporter

On Saturday, March 10, over 300 students from Schaumburg, Conant, and Hoffman Estates High School attended Operation Snowball at Schaumburg High School.

An opportunity to make new friends with students from other schools, Operation Snowball helps individuals learn how to navigate life’s challenges while also having fun in the process. “Founded on the belief that youth and adults can make responsible and healthy life decisions when provided with factual information and an opportunity to develop self-motivation and responsibility,” students gathered inside the school from 7 AM-11 PM. There they participated in a variety of activities, including small group discussions and interactive workshops that allow students to meet and connect with new people.

No matter what is happening your life, there is someone else going through the same thing and is willing to help out.  ”

— Robert Grasse

“Each activity is designed to build upon and complement each other, to provide a rich and positive experience for our participants,” organizer Mr. Swolsky stated.

There was also a guest speaker that spoke to the students about how to better themselves as individuals.

“Our hope is that students participating in OS2018 take away the idea that they are all interconnected by common bonds,” Mr. Swolsky added. “Participants will meet new people, learn healthy strategies for navigating through the challenging moments in their lives, and embrace the OS philosophy that positive momentum grows in much the same way as a snowball does. Many participants will come away feeling great about the day-long experience..some will be changed for life!”

Student deal with copious issues and Operation Snowball aims to provide strategies and a support system in hopes of improving mental and physical health that last well beyond the event.

“There is always someone who is going to be there for you,”Robert Grasse said. “No matter what is happening your life, there is someone else going through the same thing and is willing to help out.  Being able to talk to someone is best easiest way to get through life problems.

Having a support system of peers is crucial part of coping with struggles.  Because it is student centered, student connect and share experiences in a safe and supported venue.

“Operation Snowball is, at its core, a program run by students, for students, Mr. Swolsky said. “OS gives our young people an opportunity to express themselves and discuss how to cope with the struggles of high school, in a safe environment, while also having a great time!  And because the entire event is student-centered, student-driven, and student-led, the empowerment that participants feel is quite real.”

• Operation Snowball 2018 empowers students

SHS Continues Tradition of Author Visits

Students in the workforce

A Fizzler performance to remember

• NEWS

Young Conservatives of SHS launch new political club

World language students travel around the world

Making reading fun again

SHS celebrates its mosaic of music

Bringing high mileage autos to SHS

Saxons LEADing the way

Faith based clubs see increased attendance