SHS Slam Poets storm the stage

Kenneth Beymer, Scribe Editor

Of poetry, Robin Williams as John Keating once said, “medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.” Indeed, the sublime and the arts hold a special place in the hearts of many. To celebrate this, along with all those who enjoy the arts and the sublime, Schaumburg High School’s poetry team holds an annual showcase near the end of every year.

Held within the auditorium, participants of the poetry club take turns performing their original works of poetry to a crowd rife with students eager to hear what their friends and classmates have to say.

“I’d definitely watch it again; it was really cool seeing people that I know perform. It was really good,” senior Mitchell Awdziejczyk who watched the Showcase during 6th period says.

I know I would not be the same person I am today without the Slam Team”

— Jennalin Wahlen

The observers of the Showcase aren’t the only ones enthralled, though. Many of the performing poets are overjoyed at the support given to them by their friends and peers.

“Showcase has always been such an incredible experience. More people can relate than you’d believe. It’s beautiful, really, seeing all those people in the audience connect with your words, your emotions, your experiences,” senior Jennalin Wahlen says.

This sentiment is shared by seemingly the entire poetry club, all of whom support each other and propel each other to new heights. That is one of the main draws of poetry, especially at our school: the sense of community that comes with it. Whether a hardcore romantic or someone just looking to dabble, the poetry club welcomes everyone with open, encouraging its members on their individual paths.

“I have come so far. I know I would not be the same person I am today without the slam team. The coaches, teammates, and all of our supporters have become a family to me and I can’t wait to see what’s in store for this life-changing club,” Wahlen says.

Again, similar sentiments run rampant through the poetry club. Often times, when asked about Poetry Club and what’s to gain from it, people respond without skipping a beat by saying the amount of acceptance and support stemming from the club.

Another example of support that Poetry Club provides can be seen through Jericho Dizon. Jericho recounts that, for years, he has wanted to rap for the showcase, and upon asking, he was granted permission.

“As a last hurrah, I decided to make my dream come true. Lagioia has always been so encouraging with what I do as long as it sends a message,” Dizon stated.

Overall, the poetry showcase, as it always is, was a place for people to be creative, and be themselves. This year SHS was lucky to watch many gifted performers from members of the poetry club to teachers and like Mr. Curtin, Mr. Peterson, and Ms. Lagioia.

• SHS Slam Poets storm the stage

ENTERTAINMENT

Class of 2018 Senior Map

• SHS Slam Poets storm the stage

Voicing our votes

• SHS Slam Poets storm the stage

Operation Snowball 2018 empowers students

• SHS Slam Poets storm the stage

District 211 Career Expo offers students professional opportunities

• SHS Slam Poets storm the stage

FEATURES

Matthew Williams Honored for Community Service

• SHS Slam Poets storm the stage

BPA brings home the gold after successful trek at State Conference

• SHS Slam Poets storm the stage

SHS students join day of protest

• SHS Slam Poets storm the stage

Choir supports pediatric cancer patients through music

• SHS Slam Poets storm the stage

Engineering club bot does battle in the ring

• SHS Slam Poets storm the stage

Schaumburg students walk out in protest over gun laws

SHS Slam Poets storm the stage