We Love “Crazy Rich Asians”

Cedric Mathew, Scibe Entertainment Editor

Once upon a time, there was a Chinese girl in New York. She was not the super quiet, wickedly smart Asian we often see stereotyped in movies. She was not the rebellious Asian who hates everything Asian and has purple streaks in her hair. She also was not the cut-throat Cristina Yang type of Asian. She was Rachel Chu, an economics professor in New York.

But her boyfriend? He was a Crazy Rich Asian.

It all sounds so normal, right? Well, this movie, Crazy Rich Asians, helps to normalize a story from the East Asian voice and helps audiences of all backgrounds connect to the fresh, groundbreaking narrative.

Crazy Rich Asians has an all-Asian cast (the first time in Hollywood since The Joy Luck Club in 1993), featuring Constance Wu (Fresh Off the Boat), newcomer Henry Golding as Rachel’s boyfriend Nick Young, international superstar Michelle Yeoh as Eleanor Young, rapper/actress Awkwafina  (Ocean’s 8), and so many more.

Crazy Rich Asians has been slaying the commercial and critical arena since its release. The film premiered on August 15 2018 and was number one at the box office for its first three weekends.

About 38% of the audiences were Asian. It currently has a 93% on Rotten Tomatoes, and critics everywhere are loving it. Even Mindy Kaling ugly cried at the theater.

The movie, which is based off the original trilogy written by Kevin Kwan, tells the story of the young and beautiful couple, Nick and Rachel. Nick really wants to take the next step with Rachel, and he wants to bring her along on his trip to Singapore for his best friend’s wedding. Rachel isn’t a dummy, and she knows that this step would mean that she is in it with Nick for the long haul.

After Nick books his posh, expensive, first-class airline tickets, Rachel realizes Nick is loaded. And, I’m talking Squilliam Fancyson-type of loaded.

Nick is the heir to this huge old Chinese family fortune, and he’s Singapore’s biggest bachelor. Rachel is an economics professor…from New York. And, the rest is… a whole lot of laughter and tears.

Believe me when I say that there was a lot of laughter. Most of the time, it was due to the amazing jokes by Peik Lin (Awkwafina) and her dad, played by Ken Jeong (The Hangover). Even if you have zero interest in this movie, you should still at least watch some clips of Awkwafina in this movie or in her other works because she really is fantastic!

The soundtrack in this movie was beautiful. There were a lot of Asian remixes and arrangements on popular U.S. songs, and my personal favorite was the cover of “Can’t Help Falling in Love” by Japanese-American artist Kina Grannis. It all really kept the movie very light.

For me personally, I absolutely adored the relationship and chemistry between Henry Golding and Constance Wu. This is Golding’s first acting gig, and he did a great job. He kept up with Wu surprisingly well, and the romance really came alive on screen. Nick Young and Rachel Chu seem made for each other, and without those actors, I don’t think I would have cried hysterically in that theater from time to time.

I reserve the right to cry hysterically for this movie, because this movie is finally giving East Asians the representation they deserve. However, many people may be confused about my excitement for this film since I am Indian and am not represented by the cast of this film.

I agree; I am not getting any representation from this movie at all. (Even though, Singapore has so many Indian people to the point where Tamil is one of the national languages, and there were very, very few South Asian people in this movie).

I’m excited because this movie took a big step for Hollywood, and we are closer as a society to hearing stories from all cultural backgrounds.

About the Writer
Cedric Mathew, Entertainment Editor

I’m Cedric, and I’m a Junior at SHS. I’m in Speech Team, Math Team, and Band. I’m a volunteer at St. Alexius hospital, and I really like watching...

• We Love “Crazy Rich Asians”

ENTERTAINMENT

And CAOS Has Begun.

• We Love “Crazy Rich Asians”

ENTERTAINMENT

The Ballad of Joji: A Review of Joji’s “BALLADS 1”

• We Love “Crazy Rich Asians”

ENTERTAINMENT

“Tartuffe” to open at SHS Theatre

• We Love “Crazy Rich Asians”

ENTERTAINMENT

Saxons Storm the Stage

• We Love “Crazy Rich Asians”

ENTERTAINMENT

A Blast From the Past

• We Love “Crazy Rich Asians”

ENTERTAINMENT

A bite out of life

• We Love “Crazy Rich Asians”

ENTERTAINMENT

Frozen custard craze hits SHS

• We Love “Crazy Rich Asians”

ENTERTAINMENT

The Walking Dead, Season 8B: Surprisingly Subtle?

• We Love “Crazy Rich Asians”

ENTERTAINMENT

Fortnite Fanaticism

• We Love “Crazy Rich Asians”

ENTERTAINMENT

SHS theatre seussifies “Romeo and Juliet”

We Love “Crazy Rich Asians”