Frozen custard craze hits SHS

Back to Article
Back to Article

Frozen custard craze hits SHS

Andy's Frozen Custard is now an SHS hangout.

Karly Balslew

Karly Balslew

Karly Balslew

Karly Balslew, Scribe Reporter

Fueled by social media, the summer of 2018 brought with it the Andy’s Frozen Custard craze.  Located at 205 E Rand Road in Mt. Prospect, the shop has been open since 2017 and has gained quite a following.

With its primary colored logos scattered over newsfeeds and snapchat stories, Schaumburg students have a new, popular hangout.  The drive-thru and walk-up custard shop has been a perfect portrait of summertime fun and has drawn Schaumburg students to its open windows.

“I found out about Andy’s, because so many people were posting about it on Snapchat.  So I had to see what the hype was about,” expresses senior Jessie Gerena.  “I think the aesthetic is very attractive to teens as well as the vintage style.”

The shop only has ten locations throughout Illinois and is open all year long to devoted custard-loving customers. The closest shop to Schaumburg is located on the bustling Rand Road in Mount Prospect, an approximate 30 minute drive.

For those who are unfamiliar with it, custard contains a larger amount of cream compared to typical ice cream, and this lends custard a distinctively creamy texture. Andy’s also offers various flavors such as “Jitterbug Concrete,” “James Brownie Funky Jackhammer,” “Tin Roof Sundae,” and many other creative desserts. There are also options to add various toppings, such as fresh fruit or candy to create your own specialty custard. Andy’s is the spot to go if you want to dazzle your taste buds with something out of the ordinary.

“It’s worth a little extra time in the car to taste something different,” senior Monica Rogalski said.  “The whole layout of the shop is unique in itself with the walk up windows and how the menu is located out of the shop on a seperate board.”

I found out about Andy’s because so many people were posting about it on Snapchat, so I had to see what the hype was about.”

— Jessie Gerena

The bright neon signs, an abundance of indulgent flavors, the cool air wafting from the service window, and the friendly customer service appeal to all crowds. The summertime atmosphere would draw any teen looking for an adventure outside of the confines of Schaumburg. If you can’t make the trip to savor the custard in the summer, don’t worry–you’ll be able to eat the custard all year long with heated patios and limited-edition seasonal flavors.

“I’d say it’s worth the custard,” Riley Lentz, a senior at Schaumburg, stated. “The combos there are some you can’t get anywhere else and the flavors are definitely unique.”

If you’re up for a small journey and love finding a frozen treat to satisfy your sweet tooth, Andy’s just might be the place for you. Whether it’s a sweltering day or well below freezing, any day is a good day for custard.

• Frozen custard craze hits SHS

ENTERTAINMENT

“Fantastic” sequel brings the magic

• Frozen custard craze hits SHS

ENTERTAINMENT

BanderSNATCHED

• Frozen custard craze hits SHS

ENTERTAINMENT

And CAOS Has Begun.

• Frozen custard craze hits SHS

ENTERTAINMENT

The Ballad of Joji: A Review of Joji’s “BALLADS 1”

• Frozen custard craze hits SHS

ENTERTAINMENT

“Tartuffe” to open at SHS Theatre

• Frozen custard craze hits SHS

ENTERTAINMENT

Saxons Storm the Stage

• Frozen custard craze hits SHS

ENTERTAINMENT

A Blast From the Past

• Frozen custard craze hits SHS

ENTERTAINMENT

A bite out of life

• Frozen custard craze hits SHS

ENTERTAINMENT

We Love “Crazy Rich Asians”

• Frozen custard craze hits SHS

ENTERTAINMENT

The Walking Dead, Season 8B: Surprisingly Subtle?

Frozen custard craze hits SHS