Making reading fun again

Back to Article
Back to Article

Making reading fun again

Members of Book Club hold their novels of choice. Book Club meets every Thursday in the Media Center.

Hannah Wishnew, Scribe Reporter

Once upon a time, in the good old days of elementary school reading was fun. We would read fun stories like Magic Treehouse and Junie B. Jones, and we had an entire section of the school day letting us read what we wanted.  Then junior high happened, and we were forced to books like The Giver, and the Call of the Wild. Reading was no longer fun. That pattern of forcing students to read book has continued in high school.

Enter the SHS book club. Book club meets every Thursday after school in the media center in order to read and discuss the stories students want to read.

The goal of the club, which was started up by a group of students last year, is to read many types of books and to expose people to genres and stories they might enjoy and have not read before. It also allows students to read for pleasure, instead of the structured literature everyone reads in class.

There is one cycle of books per semester with about four books in a cycle. Small groups discuss what they liked or disliked about the writing style, characters, and themes. Students trade books around once a month. The last two meetings of each semester is a big group discussion, where everyone talks about the themes of each book and how they present themselves in our everyday lives.

Most importantly, book club gives students the opportunity to connect with others in the school who love books.

“It can be hard to find other students who actually like reading” said Holly Korreckt, “book club makes me feel like I belong.”

Another aspect the club emphasizes is gaining new experiences and perspectives from the books they read.

“We live vicariously through books and get to experience things we wouldn’t get to otherwise.” Ms.Stephanie Crespo, the club’s sponsor explained.

Books transport you to distant, magical land’s, a different country, or different period of human history. The possibilities are truly endless. You also are introduced to characters that you connect with and follow on their journey.

“Students learn important lessons about real world topics, such as the civil rights movement and share their views and experiences regarding these topics in a supportive environment, Crespo continued.”

Book Club members also participate in the Abraham Lincoln Reading Challenge. Any student who reads at least four books from the nationally published list and votes for their favorite is entered to win gift cards to Half Price Books. If any student is interested in participating, see Ms. Crespo in the media center.

• Making reading fun again

SHS Continues Tradition of Author Visits

• Making reading fun again

Students in the workforce

• Making reading fun again

A Fizzler performance to remember

• NEWS

Young Conservatives of SHS launch new political club

• Making reading fun again

World language students travel around the world

• Making reading fun again

SHS celebrates its mosaic of music

• Making reading fun again

Bringing high mileage autos to SHS

• Making reading fun again

Saxons LEADing the way

• Making reading fun again

Faith based clubs see increased attendance

• Making reading fun again

Harper’s promise to students

Making reading fun again