World language students travel around the world

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students pose for a photo at the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France as apart of the foreign exchange program. The foreign exchange program allows students to travel to a country of the language they learned throughout the years.

Mark Gorospe, Scribe Contributor

During the summer of 2018, adventurous world language students explored new life styles during trips to foreign countries for the District 211 exchange program.

Students traveled to France, Spain, and China. Students from other countries come to Illinois and experience life in Schaumburg and Chicago, then students from District 211 travel and stay with those same families.

On the trip to France, students experienced the must see’s of the countries’ renowned monuments. A highlight of the France trip was a visit to the Eiffel Tower, a structure originally built for the 1889 World Fair.

“We stayed in a hotel in Paris and then we did all the big stuff— we did the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, the Champs-Élysées, we go to Versailles, we’ve gone to the Louvre, we do Norte Dame” said Madame Haskins, a French teacher at Schaumburg High School.

“From obscure modern art in Paris to Cezanne’s art studio in southern France, the colorful and vivid country was extremely enlightening,” senior Sam Hessian said.

Spanish students, who visit different Spanish-speaking countries every four years, travelled to Spain, spending time in northern Spain and Barcelona.

“It showed me how different cultures are, especially European cultures” said senior Abril Luna. “It was amazing. 10 out of 10. I would go again.”

An option, which is only offered every two years, is China. The students traveled to cities, such as Beijing and Shanghai. The group had the opportunity to visit historical monuments and really connect with the Chinese culture.

“My favorite activity was climbing the Great Wall in Beijing, as the Great Wall was larger and longer than I imagined” said Chinese 3 student Logan Velasco. “The trip was very enlightening, and I enjoyed being exposed to a culture different than my own.”

Learning from these experiences is a typical goal of the foreign exchange trips. The students are able to use their knowledge of the language and communicate with civilians to do tasks like ordering from a menu in Spanish, French, or Chinese.

“I think one of the major goals is to get the students out of their comfort zone and be able to experience a new culture,” Madam Haskins added.

“I learned that Chinese people are a lot more interested in us than we we think they are; my experience was very fun and everyone I met was very polite and respectful,” Velasco said.

The Foreign Exchange programs offers four different languages with correlating speaking countries to visit. The languages include German, French, Spanish, and Chinese. The French trip is open to students with at least two years of the language. Spanish trips require a level three or higher.

“I still remember I went almost 25 years ago and it was really one of the life forming moments,” said Madam  Haskins. “It’s really just open to students who really want to travel and want to have different experiences.”

• World language students travel around the world

SHS Continues Tradition of Author Visits

Students in the workforce

A Fizzler performance to remember

• NEWS

Young Conservatives of SHS launch new political club

Making reading fun again

SHS celebrates its mosaic of music

Bringing high mileage autos to SHS

Saxons LEADing the way

Faith based clubs see increased attendance

Harper’s promise to students