A Blast From the Past

That 70s Show ran for eight years between 1998 and 2006.

Ayesha Akram, Scribe Reporter

From Friends to Buffy the Vampire Slayer from Seinfeld to Full House, the list of iconic hit TV shows seems to go on. Yet, “That 70s Show” never seems to make the list, which is a pity, because this hilarious show falls nothing short of any of the major comedy hits back in the day. So let’s take a little trip down the memory lane.

That 70s Show is a series base on the mishaps of a group of teenagers during their high school days…in the 1970s. The crew consists of Star Wars geek Eric Forman, rebel Steven Hyde, pretty boy Michael Kelso, the naive Fez, diva Jackie Burkhart (Mila Kunis), and tomboy Donna Pinciotti. A few episodes in and you can’t help but wonder how none of them manage to kill one another, much less get along. The contrasting personalities of the six account for much of the comedy that takes place along the way.

One of the main plotlines focuses on the relationship between Eric and Donna (and how he messes up their relationship only to win her back at the end), and in seemingly every episode, whether it be about SATs, Corvettes or evil older sisters, ends up with Eric’s friends somehow throwing him under the bus. Ah! The beauty of true friendships. You can always rely on your buddies, right?.

And of course, you can’t forget the parents. Red and Kitty Forman (Eric’s parents) are the thread that ties the whole show together. Red (Eric’s dad), in particular, might be one of the best TV dads ever created. You can’t help but love his blunt, to-the-point personality, and the fact that he has no hope for Eric’s future is the highlight of every episode. Red’s seemingly utter dislike for Eric’s existence contrasting Kitty’s (Eric’s mom)love for her baby boy is a recipe for disaster and always ends up humiliating Eric, usually in front of his friends. Comedy at its finest.

So, if you feel joy from watching friends messing up each others lives (or just one friend specifically) and parents feeling nothing but disappointment when they see their kid (but deep down they really do love them), then the 70s Show is definitely for you. However, this show is definitely a lot more than just watching Eric suffer. It conveys a sense of nostalgia that doesn’t seem to make sense to a lot of us because we’re still in high school.

That 70s Show tells us to enjoy these few years in high school. Sure, tests are a nightmare. Physics makes no sense, whatsoever. Math class never seems to end. But, these are the only few years you can still act stupid, despite trying to find who you are and despite trying to educate yourself.  It makes you realize how fast time flies and how within the blink of an eye, you and your buddies that seemed so inseparable have all taken separate paths. You appreciate what you have. You have no choice; there’s no way to escape that feeling. So, definitely open up Netflix and give this show a shot. You won’t regret it.  

• A Blast From the Past

ENTERTAINMENT

A bite out of life

• A Blast From the Past

ENTERTAINMENT

We Love “Crazy Rich Asians”

• A Blast From the Past

ENTERTAINMENT

Frozen custard craze hits SHS

• A Blast From the Past

ENTERTAINMENT

The Walking Dead, Season 8B: Surprisingly Subtle?

• A Blast From the Past

ENTERTAINMENT

Fortnite Fanaticism

• A Blast From the Past

ENTERTAINMENT

SHS theatre seussifies “Romeo and Juliet”

• A Blast From the Past

ENTERTAINMENT

The Walking Dead, Season 8A: All Out Bore?

• A Blast From the Past

Artistic Voices

The old Taylor is dead

• A Blast From the Past

ENTERTAINMENT

Football, long-shots, and more!

• A Blast From the Past

ENTERTAINMENT

Nintendo’s Next Big Release: The Nintendo Switch

A Blast From the Past