SHS Continues Tradition of Author Visits

Members of the Reading Club pose for a photo with Sandhya Menon during her visit to SHS.

Hannah Wishnew, Scribe Reporter

The popular indie author Sandhya Menon visited Schaumburg last week as part of the annual tradition of author visits at SHS and the Schaumburg Public Library. Sandhya Menon has written the popular contemporary novels When Dimple met Rishi, and From Twinkle, with Love.

When Dimple met Rishi is a story about two high school graduates that meet at a summer program for web developers. One of them isn’t looking for love, but love can develop in the most unexpected ways. The book is part of the Schaumburg Public Library Big Read program.

The annual author visit gives the students a chance to meet the personalities behind the books they read, and this gives inspiration and meaning to the most popular young adult books today. The stories these authors are writing teach us about the nature of loss, individuality, morality, and especially in Ms.Menon’s case, love. This additional context adds to these lessons and allows students to relate to popular authors who may have seemed out of reach.

“It makes the reading process a lot more relatable” says Ms.Crespo, book club’s sponsor.

Meeting authors also allows students to receive words of wisdom from those who have followed their passion. Joelle Charbonneau, who visited last year, described how she was a theater major and performing at murder mystery dinners before she was invited to a writing group and wrote her first books.

“It showed that if you put the effort in, anyone can write a book. Even if they don’t consider themselves a writer” says Kaileigh Payne, a junior and president of book club.

That ability encourages students to pursue their own passions. This year, Ms.Menon described how self-doubt affects everyone, and how to push past it to follow your passion and put your story into the world. She captivated her audience with anecdotes about her writing and emphasized that every story, every piece of art, is important.

Book Club meets Thursday after school  in the Media Center. If you are interesting in Book Club or other opportunities for author visits, contact Ms. Crespo in the Media Center.

• SHS Continues Tradition of Author Visits

Students in the workforce

A Fizzler performance to remember

• NEWS

Young Conservatives of SHS launch new political club

World language students travel around the world

Making reading fun again

SHS celebrates its mosaic of music

Bringing high mileage autos to SHS

Saxons LEADing the way

Faith based clubs see increased attendance

Harper’s promise to students