Another failed New Year’s resolution

Back to Article
Back to Article

Another failed New Year’s resolution

image courtesy of Pixabay

image courtesy of Pixabay

image courtesy of Pixabay

Stephanie An, Scribe Reporter

So it’s March, just over two months into the year. How are those New Year’s resolutions going? Are you still working out? Still dieting? Still limiting your screen time? Every year, we vow to improve ourselves by way of the New Year’s resolution; however, only about 8% of people actually achieve their resolution (Diamond).

Many of us casually make New Year’s resolution, right? And when we break our resolutions, we offer the same lame defenses from previous years. Once people begin to struggle with their resolution, they often think it’s too late, or not worth the trouble, or that they could do better next year. In reality, waiting for next year is just an excuse to get out of it. But what is the reason that so many people fail? Why does such a small percentage of us actually stay committed?

According to Psychology Today, there are four clear reasons people don’t uphold their resolutions.  First our goals usually aren’t clear enough to provide directions and guidance. Secondly, we feel overwhelmed by how daunting the task can be. Then, even if we try to keep true to our resolutions, we become discouraged when our efforts don’t yield immediate results. Ultimately, researchers find that people are not ready for change.

Therefore, goals such as losing weight, eating healthier, limiting screen time, and studying harder are too vague, causing people to be unable to keep up with their resolution, and if people can’t achieve their goal they, become unmotivated and  blame everything but themselves. This is the way humans work; we avoid recognizing our faults, so we can avoid feeling guilty.

Here we are now two months into the year, and I’m betting many of us have forgotten about our resolutions. One of my New Year’s resolution was to publish more for the school newspaper. I was going to write a bunch. It seemed like a solid, manageable goal. And still, it took me more than two months to finish an article about how I won’t finish this article. Can anyone say irony?

But in the end, who really cares about if you achieved your New Years resolution? Resolutions are supposed to be fun. They allow us to recognize things in our lives that need changing. They make the new year feel more like a fresh start. New Year = new you; we can become anything we want. The most important part of starting a new year is to be happier and healthier than the year before. So, if you’re one of the few hold strong to your resolution, good luck. Chances are it won’t last long. But hey, just like always, there’s always next year.