Winter Formal Under the Big Top

Back to Article
Back to Article

Winter Formal Under the Big Top

Amy Hardison, Scibe Reporter

Saturday night. Same shows or homework. On February 16, however,  the SHS Winter Formal offered students an opportunity to change up their routines, get dressed up, and dance the night away.

And that is just what SHS students did, as nearly 775 students attended “The Greatest Show” themed dance. The “Greatest Show” carnival/circus theme created an atmosphere of fun for both couples and non-couples.   Colorful props, colorful circus games, and cotton candy created a festive mood.

“School dances are a social event where all your friends can come together to dance and just have an overall good time,” stated Student Council Board member Yasmin Green.

This year, student council made sure that there was a new, improved DJ at the dance. Student Council accepted music input by offering many students the opportunity to suggest songs on Schoology. 

<script>

courtesy of @SaxonActivities

Student Council works tirelessly to make the dance as enjoyable as possible. Student Council members decorate the gymnasium, sell tickets, publicize the event, and more.

“The biggest challenge as always is making our vision come alive with the given time. With only a handful of work days. Because of all the snow and cold days, it was more of a time crunch issue,” Green stated. “The planning and preparation for this dance was very different than the others; we really took our time going over the flaws from past events and made sure everything was accounted for.”

“We tweeted out pictures of the decorations and the carnival games, and I think that got some excited to come who weren’t planning on coming,” Student Council sponsor Jessica Wienke said. 

The music was so much better,” said senior Maddy Artman.  “There was more of a variety, which brought more energy to the atmosphere and brought more people to the dance floor.”

A highlight of the evening took place when Nydia Gilbert, who is retiring at the end of the school year, was called to stage and was presented with flowers, as Donna Summer’s the “Last Dance” played. Students chanted MVP as Nydia took the stage.

<script>

SHS Student Council

“I didn’t expect anything like this,” Nydia said. “I was shocked when the music stopped and I realized it for me. I would do anything for my kids. I just love them!”

In the past, Winter Formal has had the reputation of being a couple’s dance where female students ask their dates. Student Council worked hard to break the old norms of the “turnabout,” by taking to social media dispel any misconceptions.

“We really wanted to get rid of this reputation, so we used twitter to publicize the event and dispel this idea ahead of time,” Wienke added. 

Make sure to keep an eye out for all the SHS dances offered over the course of the year; students and staff make every effort to throw a good party so that people can have a good time.  If you missed out on this dance, keep in mind that plans have already begun for Prom 2019; so Junior and Seniors, get ready because tickets will be sold online from April 1st through April 15.