Schools continue to combat vaping

Back to Article
Back to Article

Schools continue to combat vaping

Incidents of teen vaping  have increased over 400 percent since 2015.

Incidents of teen vaping have increased over 400 percent since 2015.

courtesy of Wikimedia.org

courtesy of Wikimedia.org

courtesy of Wikimedia.org

Abigail Thomas, Scribe Reporter

Over the past 4 years, District 211 has witnessed a nearly 400 percent rise in vaping-related offenses. To give context, there were just over 230 vaping related infractions throughout the district, last year. Still, our district, and schools across the nation, continues to explore various ways to curb teen vaping, as students increasingly use these “sleek,” “portable” alternatives to conventional tobacco products such as cigarettes.

Often marketed as a way to stop smoking, these flavored nicotine products use inconspicuous devices, such as Juul, which are too easily accessible to teens.  60% of teens know someone who vaped or at least saw someone who vaped.

“Doing it with friends seems fun [to users]. People might vape because of the hype around it, or maybe it’s just peer pressure,” Zahia Khan said.

Enticed by models and other sponsored figures, vaping companies lure students to use their products. Many begin to use these products without knowing or not caring about the risks.

Recently, however, more people are starting to learn about these consequences.  Dominika Hanusiak stated that vaping “is dangerous since it’s very addictive.”

Although some perceive vaping as a “safer” alternative to smoking, it really isn’t. The flavors added in vapes actually cause lung cancer.

Nrupa Patel said that she “saw vaping related ads, especially from truth.com, which really opened [her] eyes to how bad vaping truly was.”

The FDA recently launched a campaign nationwide to warn people about the dangers of vaping. Fellow Spotify users probably remember vaping-related messages playing between songs. You may have noticed similar material posted on Instagram and Facebook. Students report viewing anti-vaping advertisements on YouTube as well.

Current opinion on vaping is clearly conflicted. Patel plainly states that she doesn’t approve of others vaping. Khan replied that she “doesn’t mind others vaping unless they decide to put younger kids in danger.” Hanusiak and Lakhen also believe that the make sense, and helps to reduce peer pressure that could influence others to vape.

Schools are beginning to enact ways to prevent students from vaping.  At Schaumburg High School, teachers participated in a “Lunch and Learn” presentation through the Gateway Foundation and Kenneth Young Site in January.   District 211 also held an education session for parents and community members on March 14 at 7 pm hosted by Palatine High School.  Schools will be hosting educational presentations where students can expect anti-vaping related information. If caught vaping, students receive an in-school suspension and a tobacco ticket.

For school administrators, it may seem like a daunting task, but the Schaumburg community is committed to informing students about the dangers and reducing the usage. With so many people disapproving of vaping, there is no reason that people should put their health at a risk to use these products.  If you have information related to on-campus vaping, please contact an administrator.

• Schools continue to combat vaping

FEATURES

Matthew Williams Honored for Community Service

• Schools continue to combat vaping

Singing and Dancing When “Anything Goes”

• Schools continue to combat vaping

STUDENT LIFE

Prom doesn’t have to break the bank

• Schools continue to combat vaping

ENTERTAINMENT

Movies you need to see heading into “Endgame”

• Schools continue to combat vaping

Celebrating Culture at the SHS Diversity Fair

• Schools continue to combat vaping

OPINIONS

Another failed New Year’s resolution

• Schools continue to combat vaping

Winter Formal Under the Big Top

• Schools continue to combat vaping

Joint choir concert brings warmth to winter

• Schools continue to combat vaping

Hackers unite at Code211 Hackathon

• Schools continue to combat vaping

Engineer club decimates the competition

Schools continue to combat vaping