Hackers unite at Code211 Hackathon

Brody+Adelman%2C+Pranay+Singh%2C+and+Gavin+Andres+code+in+the+Fremd+Media+Center+during+the+Code211+Hackathon.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Hackers unite at Code211 Hackathon

Brody Adelman, Pranay Singh, and Gavin Andres code in the Fremd Media Center during the Code211 Hackathon.

Hannah Wishnew

Hannah Wishnew

Hannah Wishnew

On February 1st and 2nd, students from all over the district came together at Fremd High School for the annual Code211 Hackathon.

A hackathon is a coding competition that normally requires a group to work together and solve a specific problem. While Code211 does not have a theme, students were able to use their creativity to pursue their individual coding goals and interests.

One of the main draws of the hackathon was the student lead workshops. Participants of all skill levels were able to expand their knowledge and learn about developing websites, using a database, and the specifics of coding languages, such as python or node.js.

“The scheduled workshops are for people of all skill levels, so there’s always something to do and people to learn from,” states Rob Budak, a current senior who helped run the event.

Expanding knowledge in coding came in useful for student projects, but also for the future. The workshops give invaluable experience for students looking to go into the computer science field by giving them coding, collaborating, and leadership experience needed in college and beyond.

The entire event leads up to the awards ceremony late Saturday night. The projects where classified and judged based on the experience level of the group or creator. Each person had three minutes to wow the judges and show their technical capabilities.

The project that won the advanced category was a version of flappy bird that integrated artificial intelligence to choose the best path through the maze of tubes. And Schaumburg High School senior Brody Adelman won third place in the intermediate category for his Blender Automatic Armature Correction project.

“For years, it has been impossible to use human models  for animation if you plan to render the final project using the free online render farm, SheepIt,” Adelman stated.  “Certain changes have to be made in the animation software to the model in order for it to work correctly. What my project does is automatically apply the constraints needed to the model’s bone structure, making an upwards of 30 minute process instantaneous and available to the public.”

Overall, the event was well organized, well attended, and provided a valuable space for learning, collaboration, and fun.

• Hackers unite at Code211 Hackathon

Winter Formal Under the Big Top

• Hackers unite at Code211 Hackathon

Joint choir concert brings warmth to winter

• Hackers unite at Code211 Hackathon

Engineer club decimates the competition

• Hackers unite at Code211 Hackathon

SpeechedUp

• Hackers unite at Code211 Hackathon

Stand up with Girl Up

• Hackers unite at Code211 Hackathon

The Outdoor Adventure Club promises an escape to nature

• Hackers unite at Code211 Hackathon

“James and The Giant Peach” opens at SHS

• Hackers unite at Code211 Hackathon

Rotary Youth Conference offers leadership opportunity

• Hackers unite at Code211 Hackathon

SHS Continues Tradition of Author Visits

• Hackers unite at Code211 Hackathon

Students in the workforce

Hackers unite at Code211 Hackathon