SHS Diversity Fair
SHS Diversity Fair
March 21, 2024

Security Presence at SHS Increased for Student Safety

Safety+and+Security+personnel+Mike+Gust+checks+students+IDs+as+they+enter+the+building.+
Mrs. Micheletto
Safety and Security personnel Mike Gust checks students IDs as they enter the building.

As we reach the six-week mark of the 2023 school year, it is likely that students have observed an augmented security presence at both the entrances and in the hallways of SHS.

At each of the D211 high schools, a team of four Safety and Security personnel stands ready to assist anyone entering the school premises. These individuals boast backgrounds in Law Enforcement and Public Safety, and their training encompasses a comprehensive array of skills, including CPI/NVCI, AED/CPR, Narcan, Epinephrine, Equity, and Trauma Response.

CNN’s recent report, as of September 19, reveals that there have been a total of 53 school shootings this year, resulting in 27 tragic fatalities and 56 injuries. Shockingly, 16 of these incidents occurred on college campuses. In response to these disconcerting statistics, D211 schools have taken swift measures to prioritize the safety of their high school students.

Assistant Principal Kendra Letzel underscores the paramount objective of these security personnel, stating, “this position will work in tandem with the school resource officer, student supervisors and administration to ensure student and staff safety, maintain order, monitor school facilities, and respond to incidents and conditions that pose a risk to school safety and security.”

SHS Senior Matthew Pyzowski expresses his sentiments, saying, “I feel a lot more comfortable walking around the halls knowing my school is protected.”

Beyond ensuring safety, the core responsibilities of these security personnel extend to maintaining order within the school, monitoring school facilities, and promptly addressing incidents or conditions that could pose threats to school safety.

Their duties encompass roving patrols, conducting checks of both the facilities and their external surroundings, and assisting with parking lot management. In terms of monitoring, they oversee entrance security and the availability of AEDs during the start and end of school days, working collaboratively with the school resource officer, student supervisors, and administration.

Additionally, Schaumburg High School has actively engaged in Safety Week, during which classroom teachers educated students on safety procedures and conducted drills to practice these protocols.

In a communication to SHS faculty emphasizes, Assistant Principal Mrs. Smith stated, “Emergency drills focus on the educational component, to inform students of what to do during the event of an emergency and how to react.

These drills were introduced over the PA system during designated periods and times.

In accordance with SHS’s Value Statements, safety and wellness rank as top priorities within the district. If any individuals become aware of potentially concerning situations, they are encouraged to report them to an adult.

The return to school may understandably evoke feelings of anxiety regarding safety within the learning environment. The heightened security presence at all D211 high schools serves as a reassuring measure, fostering a greater sense of safety, security, and comfort as we navigate our daily school routines.