SHS Diversity Fair
SHS Diversity Fair
March 21, 2024

Five Nights At Freddy’s: Worth a watch?

One of the internet’s favorite game series, Five Nights At Freddy’s, dropped its first motion picture a full decade after the first game’s release. The movie dropped on October 26th on the streaming service Peacock and internationally October 27th. 

Released in August of 2014, the game received major success and popularity. It was so successful that it mutually helped boost the popularity of the game and YouTubers alike such as Markiplier, Jacksepticeye, Dawko, and Game Theory. Fans have been wanting a movie based off the series since the first movies release but it’s been in “movie purgatory” until this year. 

Rights to the Five Nights At Freddy’s have been bouncing around movie producers like Hot Potato until it was announced in 2017 that the movie will be produced by Blumhouse Productions, a film company previously known for the Paranormal Activity movie series at the time. The FNAF movie official cast was confirmed in December and filming began in February of this year.

Sources such as IMDb, Screen Rant and the official Five Nights At Freddy’s Wiki states that there have been ‘at least nine scrapped screenplays.’   

With that many scrapped screenplays, one would imagine the movie is pretty good, right? Not exactly and that’s okay! The film was a bit too short, as it goes over some details that should’ve been flushed out. There’s a scene where it explains why group A behaves like group A but it’s not fully fleshed out and it left me a bit confused. The reason why they behave like that goes unflorished and confusing.

There are so many things that the movie could have done that would have made the movie a bit more enjoyable. If you’re not paying attention to the movie, then you’re going to get lost, and even when you are paying attention, you still may be a bit confused. With that being said, the soundtrack is great!

The soundtrack was composed by The Newton Brothers who also composed music for The Haunting of Bly Manor, The Forever Purge, The Bye Bye Man and more interestingly, the 2019 adaption of the book by Stephen King, Doctor Sleep. The opening song was ominous and set the scene for a great first act. With its 80s setting and introductory graphics look like they came straight out of the first three games.

You may recognize Matthew Lillard who’s most famously known for his role in the Scream series; play William Afton. You’ll also recognize Josh Hutcherson from The Hunger Games, played by Michael Schmidt and Elizabeth Lail who plays Vanessa in the film. Even though the film was short, these actors poured their heart into their role and the casting is great overall.

The movie was not what critics expected, but no one gets everything right the first time, especially if the people have high hopes. The movie feels rushed just for Halloween deadline, and it’s disappointing seeing a franchise this popular, release a movie that I don’t want to watch more than three times. With that being said, I still loved the cast and their acting and the soundtrack is pretty good,Receiving a 29% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and a 5.5 on IMDb, the Five Nights At Freddy’s movie, a Saxon Scribe approved, 6.5/10. Even with the low rating, it is probable that a FNAF sequel is underway.