The Arts Take the Stage at SHS

SHS+student+form+a+conga+line+during+the+Arts+Alive+steel+drum+band+perfomance.+

Mrs. Micheletto

SHS student form a conga line during the Arts Alive steel drum band perfomance.

Braden Murphy, Scribe Reporter

With the pandemic shutting down so much, crowds felt discouraged to venture to theaters for movies and plays, artistic displays, comedy shows, and almost every other artistic display. With so many streaming services and apps on our phones, entertainment was easier and more convenient to access, making coming back to in-person viewings even harder. Arts Alive looks to bring the arts back to people’s lives. 

This year, Schaumburg High School’s biennial events now takes place every Friday in March, with the last week before spring break on Wednesday. Doing this allows teachers to give more time to students to prepare for and take tests before the break and allows for a greater number of classes time to see the events. 

This year, ten acts will be performing in the Schaumburg auditorium, all spread out over four different days and periods. Along with those ten acts, the school music department will be putting together a show where students will perform in trios, quartets, and ensembles with different groups performing each day.

Northern Illinois University steel drum band perform during Arts Alive. (Mrs. Micheletto)

Alongside the music department’s return to the Arts Alive stage, the hidden talents section is back! The hidden talent section of Arts Alive lets students audition for and perform their gifts in front of an audience of peers.  

This year’s performances included the Northern Illinois steel drum band, a bluegrass band called Dusty Boots, a performance from the Hogan Irish Dance Academy, the York High School Stepping Foxes, a speed artist, a story teller, and more. 

“The arts help us connect to each other and our humanity; by experiencing art in different forms, we can get a glimpse into the lives of others and become more empathetic individuals.” Said Arts Alive sponsor Mrs. Micheletto