SHS Diversity Fair
SHS Diversity Fair
March 21, 2024

Socially Conscious Socks

Clark+Easley+and+his+family+provide+socks+for+local+unhoused+individuals.+
Clark Easley and his family provide socks for local unhoused individuals.

Schaumburg’s very own, Clark Easley, is changing the world, one sock at a time. With the help of his brothers and parents, Easley created a nonprofit organization that collects socks for homeless shelters. 

Easley’s passion for helping others stemmed from time he and his brothers spent volunteering in homeless shelters. 

“There seemed to always be a need for more socks,” Easley observed.

So, Easley organized fundraisers and donation events to collect socks and met with other nonprofit organizations to increase awareness. There is a high demand for warm, clean socks in homeless shelters, an especially important crisis as socks contribute to foot hygiene and help prevent infections. 

What began as a small, family venture, Socks in Boots has grown into a viable community outreach. 

“We started with money we earned by shoveling our neighbors’ driveways over the winter, but that quickly expanded after we were able to create an official nonprofit,” shares Clark. “I’ve been able to speak at local communities and other organizations to lead sock drives.”

Charity work, while rewarding, does not come without its challenges.

“It’s tricky trying to contact other organizations. I do a lot of emails and follow-up phone calls in order to set up events for my nonprofit,” Easley says. “Sometimes what you say… falls on deaf ears, but it’s really important for me to be perseverant in fundraising for Socks in Boots.”

Quality socks do not only provide warmth and protection but also improve mental well-being and security. Providing safe and warm refuge for displaced individuals is an important goal of many homeless shelters, yet they often lack resources like dry socks. With Clark’s nonprofit, thousands of socks have been donated to shelters across Chicago. 

Still, Clark remains humble and attributes much of his success to those around him.  

“I am a result of so many people pouring so much into me and supporting me so I lean on my parents and friends when I’m feeling overwhelmed with school and running Socks in Boots,” shares Clark. “A lot of times it’s understanding my limits and being comfortable with asking for help. It’s important to know when to ask for help.”

After high school, Clark’s future plans won’t stop him from contributing further. 

“I definitely want to continue my involvement with Socks In Boots after I leave high school. I see Socks in Boots following me wherever I go since this is an issue across the country,” Clark says.

Ultimately, Clark’s work serves as a reminder of the importance of philanthropy and that even individual actions can make a huge difference in the lives of others.  

“I learned the power that we all have when we come together for a shared purpose,” shared Easley. “When I go and speak in front of other nonprofit organizations I see what we can do when we all put our hands together to solve an issue.”