Cell phone procedure aims to improve classroom experience

SHS+students+can+now+only+use+cell+phones+in+common+areas.+

SHS students can now only use cell phones in common areas.

Amy Hardison, Scribe Editor

Gone are the days of checking Snapchat, texting, and scrolling through trending videos of Tik Tok while in class. Schaumburg High School kicked off the school year with a new cell phone procedure that aims at eliminating distractions from the classroom.

This year, students who use their phones in the classroom environment will be subject to increasingly strict consequences. The procedure was implemented in order to keep distractions to a minimum and increase social interaction and academic success.  

“Our committee looked at a bunch of studies about reducing screen time. They discovered that academic achievement increases significantly,” Principal Little stated. 

“The procedure removes classroom distractions and allows me to focus on my school work,” sophomore Aidan Miller stated.

In order to increase student success, teachers will now be expected to refer all cell phone violations to the discipline office, who cumulatively track student offenses.

“This is about teaching kids responsible use and showing them what the classroom could look like outside of being distracted by a device,” Assistant Principal Mr. Marrazzo said. 

According to course syllabi, students will be warned for their first two offenses and will have their phones confiscated for subsequent violations. If students continue to misuse their cell phones, they run the risk of losing privileges for an extended period of time. 

“At first it’s going to feel a little weird, but then over time, you’re going to realize, ‘OK, I’m fine for this 50 minutes,’ and overtime, it’s just the norm” Dean of Students Mr.Hughes stated. 

Administrators and staff have been working together to finalize the procedure after hearing from teachers that phones were a significant distraction in the classroom. 

“I think it can be an aid when someone forgets their iPad, but I completely lost my kids,” said Mrs. Peterson, an English teacher. “It’s hard when they’re looking at YouTube or potentially looking at memes or other things that are so distracting.” 

Schaumburg’s new procedure has been met with mixed reviews. Many students have said that not having their phones may induce anxiety, and others worry that they will not be able to communicate with their parents/guardians if something were to come up. 

“I don’t think it’s that bad. But it’s our learning experience, and if people want to go on their phone, it’s their problem.” Mia Arquilla, a junior says.

Mr. Inendino, who is a part of the Saxons Solutions Committee, shared that if something important were to come up and communication with parents is needed, students can talk to their teacher before taking out their phones in class. 

“That is showing responsibility and maturity,” Mr.Inendino says.