With playoff aspirations, Saxons looking to improve.

image courtesy of VIP

Simon Niku wins a 50/50 ball in the Saxon’s 3-0 loss to Fremd.

Patrick Schmitz, Sports Reporter

The Saxon soccer team ran out to a 3-1 record scoring eleven goals but were held to only one goal in their next three games. Since then, the team has rebounded only losing one game, leading to a 7-5-1 record.

With strong wins agains Wheeling, Prospect, and Hoffman Estates and hard fought losses to Fremd and Hersey, coach Eric Sorby thinks this team can go far heading into the second half of the season.

“I don’t believe there is a limit to where this team can go,” said head coach Sorby. “We have the ability to play against the best teams in the state and anything can happen in the postseason.”

Forward Simon Niku, midfielder Jared Schoo, goalkeeper Denys Lyashko, and defenseman Sam Bogner are having strong seasons. Together, along with a talented, veteran starting lineup, the Saxons are looking to a late season run in the conference and beyond.

“We need to play to our strengths and work hard together,” Bogner stated. “When we try to do too much individually, we don’t succeed.”

The Saxons will need to do better offensively if they want to keep winning games, working to improve possession and positioning in hopes of increasing scoring opportunities.  Defensively, the Saxons need to continue to improve in their individual battles.

When we try to do too much individually, we don’t succeed.

— Sam Bogner

“To improve offensively, we can work on keeping possession when we win it and generate more scoring opportunities through the run of play,” said coach Sorby. “Defensively we need to improve our one on one defending and stay engaged for the entire game.”

This season the Saxons will have to stay healthy heading into some big games. They need to string together some big wins to carry momentum heading into the end of the season.

“Staying healthy has been a key part to this season, and we will need to continue that trend going forward,” said coach Sorby. “We also have a tough stretch to finish out the season, and I would like to string together a series of positive results leading into the postseason.”

This Saxon team is loaded with talent. They can score from anywhere on the field. Their defense can set up a ball to any of the offensive players. However, team is not without its flaws. They need to capitalize when opportunities present themselves and must work to prevent fast breaks.

The Saxons have struggled on the road this season. All but one loss has been on the road. If they want to go far in the playoffs, they will need to do a better job playing away from Schaumburg High School.

The Saxons will be playing three conference teams to finish off the season. They will need to do strong in the next games if they want to be in the playoffs.